News Malaysiakini

Rome Statute: Zaid tells 'cowards' not to use Johor palace as smokescreen

Published:  |  Modified:

Pakatan Harapan should not blame the Johor palace for Malaysia's withdrawal from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC), according to Zaid Ibrahim.

The former de facto law minister also said there is no need to hold public forums regarding the role of a constitutional monarchy.

“No need for public forums on the role of the monarchy. Or get the public all excited about Rome Statute.

“Fact is you are scared of ratifying. It is all within your power, so don't attack Johor for your own cowardice,” he tweeted this afternoon.

On April 5, Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad announced that Malaysia would withdraw from the Rome Statute.

He also appeared to blame Johor crown prince Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim for sowing confusion over the matter.

Tunku Ismail was a vocal critic of the Rome Statute, arguing that it would threaten the position of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah later claimed that there is a deep state working against the Harapan government, while Mahathir said there were efforts to pit him against the royals.

Mahathir has also locked horns with the Johor palace on the issue of the menteri besar and state executive council.

Last week, the prime minister said there is still no response from the Agong regarding the new chief justice despite Putrajaya having submitted a name.

The post has been vacant since April 12 following the retirement of Richard Malanjum.

Singapore's Straits Times had reported that the rulers were deliberately keeping mum to send a message to Putrajaya.

Share this story

OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew