Family of missing S'porean kayaker arrive in Kemaman Hospital


Modified 15 Aug 2019, 2:33 am

Some 15 family members of a Singapore woman who went missing while kayaking in Endau waters on Aug 8 arrived at the Kemaman Hospital Forensic Unit last night.

The family members of Puah Geok Tin, 57, came in four Singapore-registered cars at 11.45pm, escorted by a police car and a Singapore High Commission vehicle.

They were in a sombre mood and seen hugging each other.

Journalists were not allowed to interview them and were also barred from taking photographs or video.

Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) Mersing Zone chief Haris Fadzillah Abdullah said the body of a woman was found floating at sea about five nautical miles east of Kuala Kemaman by local fishermen at 12.50pm yesterday.

"The body arrived at the Kemaman Zone MMEA at 4.30pm and was sent to Kemaman Hospital for postmortem and identification by the family,” he told reporters at the forward base set up at the Penyabong jetty in Endau.

It is learnt that the postmortem will be conducted today.

Last Thursday, Singaporeans Tan Eng Soon, 62, and Puah went missing at about 5.40pm after they got separated from a group of 13 friends while kayaking between Pulau Sri Buat and Pulau Mertang.

- Bernama

Share this story


By posting a comment, you agree to our Terms & Conditions as stipulated in full here


Foul language, profanity, vulgarity, slanderous, personal attack, threatening, sexually-orientated comments or the use of any method of communication that may violate any law or create needless unpleasantness will not be tolerated. Antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be suspended. Violators run the risk of also being blocked permanently.


Please use the report feature that is available below each comment to flag offending comments for our moderators to take action. Do not take matters in your own hands to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary exchanges that may result in your own suspension or ban.