Malaysiakini
NEWS

Shafie says will ask Mohamaddin to explain Ops Daulat remarks

Alyaa Alhadjri

Published
Modified 21 Sep 2020, 2:05 pm

SABAH POLLS | Warisan's Lahad Datu MP Mohamaddin Ketapi will be summoned by party president Shafie Apdal to explain remarks that allegedly insulted security personnel who fought against intruders during the 2013 Lahad Datu standoff in Sabah.

When met by reporters while on the campaign trail for Warisan Plus candidates in Sandakan, Shafie (above) also noted that Mohamaddin had apologised for his allegedly offensive remarks.

"He has apologised. And I will call him (to explain) what were his reasons," said the incumbent Sabah chief minister when asked if any action would be taken against Mohamaddin.

"We will continue our fight. He has apologised," said Shafie before leaving the Sim-Sim futsal court in N56 Tanjong Papat.

Shafie was campaigning for DAP's N55 Elopura candidate Calvin Chong and N56 candidate Frankie Poon, alongside DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng who was also in Sandakan today.

Earlier today, Mohamaddin in a statement said that a speech of his, during the Sabah election campaign trail, had been misinterpreted. He stressed that he did not have any intention to hurt members of security forces.

He also said he was actually training his guns on BN, which was the government at the time, for their alleged failure in defending the country's borders.

He further insisted a short video clip of his remarks which went viral early Monday had been taken out of context.


Read more: Sabah Decides 2020: Making sense of the players, parties and battles


In the video, Mohamaddin told voters that the 2013 incident was only a 'sandiwara' (staged act) by the federal government then.

Following his remarks, the former tourism minister had since been bombarded with criticisms for allegedly insulting the members of security forces who fought and died in the battle.

For the record, the police aided by the armed forces had launched Operation Daulat in March 2013 in response to an intrusion by a group that called themselves the Royal Sulu Army. The group wanted to claim Sabah as their territory.

The incident ended a month later, in early April. By then, 10 members of security forces had been killed. The intruders suffered 65 casualties while over 100 others were arrested.


Malaysiakini is providing stories on Sabah polls for free until polling day (Sept 26) to help voters make an informed decision. Continue to support Malaysiakini and independent journalism by subscribing for as low as RM20 per month.

Follow Malaysiakini's coverage of the Sabah state election here.

Share this story