Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
PM corrects media on call for Umno leaders to quit
Published:  Jan 31, 2003 6:22 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the media had failed to understand his statement o­n the stepping down of Umno leaders.

"I didn't ask anyone to resign. When the time comes, a new leader will take over and maybe some will be dropped, and they must be willing," he was quoted as saying by the national news agency Bernama .

"It doesn't mean that all will be dropped," added the premier after chairing the Umno supreme council meeting at the party headquarters in Kuala Lumpur last night.

Mahathir had reportedly said earlier that he welcomed the decision of several Umno leaders to step down and not contest in the next election.

This is in order for his successor, Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, to form his own team when he assumes the premiership this October.

Disquiet among Umno leaders

It is believed that Mahathir's statement created disquiet among many current party leaders, a number of whom are not too willing to step down voluntarily.

Among those who have expressed their willingness to quit are Perak Menteri Besar Tajol Rosli Ghazali, Pahang Menteri Besar Adnan Yaakob and his executive councillors.

Also offering to leave was Housing and Local Government Deputy Minister M Kayveas.

Mahathir, who has been prime minister for 21 years, announced last year he would step down this year and named Abdullah as his successor.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS