A recap of major headlines yesterday you may have missed.
KJ takes responsibility for RM100m graft scandal
Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaludin accepted responsibility over the RM100 million corruption scandal roiling his ministry. This came after Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak expressed his disappointment over the matter, vowing tough action.
Najib had earlier ordered an immediate probe into the embezzlement which had gone on for six years. This echoed calls from civil society leaders that “ heads must roll ” over the matter.
Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin took full responsibility over the RM100 million corruption scandal involving...
Posted by Malaysiakini on Tuesday, 22 March 2016
LGE told to consider going on leave over bungalow row
Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng was told to consider various options, including going on leave as his purchase of the Jalan Pinhorn bungalow comes under Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s scrutiny.
Though DAP stalwart Tony Pua said that there is no need for Lim to take leave unless he is charged.
Lim had also come under fire from Gerakan's twitter-happy leader Tan Keng Liang over the matter, as well as being chided by former DAP parliamentarian and Suaram advisor Kua Kia Soong. Kua said leaders are expected to practice what they preach and to behave responsibly.
Meanwhile, the previous owner of the residence of the Penang CM had signed a statutory declaration denying any misconduct in selling the bungalow to Lim at RM2.8 million, which is widely considered as below market price.
Posted by Malaysiakini on Monday, 21 March 2016
Other Kini bites
PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim withdrew his RM100 million defamation suit against ex-tennis partner S Nalla Karuppan, after representing himself in the trial which saw the politician grilled the latter who claimed that the media twisted his words.
Private investigator P Balasubramaniam's widow A Santamil Selvi withdrew her civil suit against the PM and others after lawyer Americk Sidhu backed out of representing her in the case. She nevertheless vowed that the RM20,000 donation she recently received to help with her children's education won't silence her from speaking the truth.
Sarawak natives rejoiced as the controversial Baram Dam was apparently put on hold , though at least one NGO warned that this might be a ruse in the run-up to the upcoming state elections, and that the dam project may resume after state polls.
Ex-DPM Muhyiddin Yassin told Malaysiakini that the PM kept mum when quizzed on Cayman Islands funds and further lamented that there is not a single kompang to greet him as news outlets and others sidelined him in his current persona non grata state.
Explosions rocked the Belgian capital of Brussels after an airport and a railway station were targeted by suicide bombers killing at least 30 and wounding hundreds. The IS have claimed responsibility for the attack which took place just days after a Paris bombing suspect was arrested in the city.
Looking ahead
In the morning the MACC is expected to charge a politician for criminal breach of trust at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court, while a group of disabled persons will demonstrate against the Goods and Services Tax (GST) at Parliament House.
In the afternoon, Bank Negara governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz will launch the central bank's 2015 Annual Report.
Later at night the anti-Najib Citizens' Declaration group is ready for tough and thorny questions at a town hall meeting to be held in Petaling Jaya for ostensibly working with the enemy, in particular former PM Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
