Business tycoon Low Taek Jho may have undergone facial reconstruction surgery and assumed a new identity to evade arrest after the seizure of his superyacht Equanimity earlier this year.
The Star, quoting an anonymous source, claimed police and immigration departments in Malaysia and Singapore believe Low could have had facial reconstruction surgery.
"We believe he may have altered his features and has assumed an alias," the source is quoted saying.
The authorities also reportedly believe that the Penang-born billionaire, better known as Jho Low, had used special "ground butler services" available for VIPs and celebrities to help him clear immigration checkpoints.
"This explains why despite the Red Notice issued by Interpol, Low has been travelling in and out of a number of Southeast Asian countries without much fuss," the source further said.
According to the report, authorities in both Malaysia and Singapore are not in possession of Low's latest photographs and had made requests for his images captured at immigration checkpoints, to give them a clearer image of the flamboyant playboy.
"Most of the photographs available are believed to have been taken three or four years ago," said the source, who added that since March seizure of the Equanimity by Indonesian authorities in March, Low has been spotted in Phuket, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Shanghai.
The source added: "Despite the Red Notice (from Interpol), the wanted businessperson has managed to elude the authorities."
'From chubby face to oval, diamond-shaped'
The Star also quoted an unnamed Kuala Lumpur-based plastic surgeon who said with the money Low has, an operation to alter his appearance would be small change for him.
"To change a chubby round face to oval or diamond-shaped would cost him between US$10,000 (about RM40,000) and US$20,000 (RM80,000).
"The recovery period is about two weeks, but the patient will endure a swollen face for about a month," said the plastic surgeon.
On the other hand, the doctor said other minor surgeries to alter eyelids and the shape of the nose and mouth could also be done in just a few hours.
Aside from physical changes, the report also quoted another anonymous Bangkok-based security expert who speculated that Low could have also used an airport "butler service" to avoid detection.
"Such passengers are normally taken directly to a private lounge operated by private jet operators as soon as they land.
"Their documents are handed to the pilots or ground handlers. They would sort it out with the immigration officer," he said adding that Low could avoid a direct screening by Immigration officers.
Inspector-general of police Mohamad Fuzi Harun on Wednesday confirmed that Low has left Macau for an unknown destination.
According to Fuzi, police received an email from their Macau counterparts two days ago, which stated that the businessperson in connection with the 1MDB scandal had left the autonomous territory.
On Tuesday, Immigration director-general Mustafar Ali revealed that Low is believed to be using a passport from another country to travel after his Malaysian passport was cancelled last month.
Low’s passport was cancelled by the Immigration Department on June 15 following a request from the MACC in relation to their investigations into the 1MDB scandal.
Unrestrained power in your hands
For almost 20 years, Malaysiakini has stayed true to the cause of providing the Malaysian public with the truth. We believe that with unadulterated information, the people will obtain power to make informed decisions.
Decisions which lead to a healthy, robust nation - ours!
Keep the truth alive. Support your robust, independent media. You have the unrestrained power to do so.
Who says it's not our fault?
We aren’t trained to take responsibility.
Everytime we observe an injustice - and choose to keep mum - the prevalence of injustice becomes our fault.
Astute journalism paves the way for the public to be continuously furnished with the fastidious truth. You are continuously empowered to act and to uphold the integrity of the nation.
The Rakyat owns Malaysiakini
We choose to take a risk on independent media because we believe that only through independent reporting can one be NOT beholden to the interest of businesses or organisations. This allows us to really pursue the truth - aggressively.
Independent for 20 years.
The victorious people
In the light of holding the truth to power, Malaysiakini will continue to uphold its mission of providing credible news to its discerning public. Your support for Malaysiakini is always treasured as a testament of innate nationalism. Your victory is our history.
Quietly. Effectively. Says it all. Malaysiakini.
Speaking truth to power
When we embarked on this journey 20 years ago, we knew we would face intimidation, harassment, raids, arrests and perhaps even jail terms. We got into this venture with our eyes wide open.
The main reason we have survived this long - when many others have folded - is partly because we are prudent in our finances. But while we may be tightfisted in our budgeting, we do not hold back when it comes to speaking truth to power and holding power to account. And certainly, this new administration will not stop us from continuing to do so.