The construction of a new primary school in Semenyih, Hulu Langat, is ongoing and slated for completion in October this year, said the Education Ministry.
According to a statement issued from minister Maszlee Malik's office today, the new SK Taman Pelangi was approved by the new Harapan government in October last year and will consist of 24 classrooms, with the project costing a total of RM20.7 million.
“...the execution period will span 106 weeks (two years) starting Oct 22, 2018, and is expected to be completed on Oct 19, 2020.
“This project is due to the long-standing struggle of the Taman Pelangi Residential Association in Semenyih, since 2012.
“It has finally been realised after the Pakatan Harapan government took over and approved the construction of the school in October 2018,” he said.
This announcement comes five days ahead of nomination day for the Semenyih by-election.
The ministry also reiterated that Selangor residents stood to benefit from RM67.58 million in education allocations under the 11th Malaysia Plan (RMK 11).
The four approved projects under the plan are a new secondary school in Bangi named SMK Bukit Mahkota (RM63 million), six new classrooms for special needs students at SMK Bagan Terap in Sabak Bernam (RM3 million), renovation work for two preschool classrooms at SK Kebun Baharu in Tok Panglima Garang (RM1.4 million) and renovation work for one preschool classroom at SJK(T) West Country Timur in Bangi (RM180,000).
“The ministry has ruled that all new RMK 11 projects beginning in 2019 will be undertaken by the Works Department and will undergo an open tender process,” the statement added.
Unrestrained power in your hands
For almost 20 years, Malaysiakini has stayed true to the cause of providing the Malaysian public with the truth. We believe that with unadulterated information, the people will obtain power to make informed decisions.
Decisions which lead to a healthy, robust nation - ours!
Keep the truth alive. Support your robust, independent media. You have the unrestrained power to do so.
Who says it's not our fault?
We aren’t trained to take responsibility.
Everytime we observe an injustice - and choose to keep mum - the prevalence of injustice becomes our fault.
Astute journalism paves the way for the public to be continuously furnished with the fastidious truth. You are continuously empowered to act and to uphold the integrity of the nation.
The Rakyat owns Malaysiakini
We choose to take a risk on independent media because we believe that only through independent reporting can one be NOT beholden to the interest of businesses or organisations. This allows us to really pursue the truth - aggressively.
Independent for 20 years.
The victorious people
In the light of holding the truth to power, Malaysiakini will continue to uphold its mission of providing credible news to its discerning public. Your support for Malaysiakini is always treasured as a testament of innate nationalism. Your victory is our history.
Quietly. Effectively. Says it all. Malaysiakini.
Speaking truth to power
When we embarked on this journey 20 years ago, we knew we would face intimidation, harassment, raids, arrests and perhaps even jail terms. We got into this venture with our eyes wide open.
The main reason we have survived this long - when many others have folded - is partly because we are prudent in our finances. But while we may be tightfisted in our budgeting, we do not hold back when it comes to speaking truth to power and holding power to account. And certainly, this new administration will not stop us from continuing to do so.