Umno may summon Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and Sabah Chief Minister Shafie Apdal to testify in the RM212 million civil forfeiture suit initiated by MACC.
Taking to Twitter today, Umno secretary-general Annuar Musa (above) pointed out that Muhyiddin and Shafie were the Umno management committee head and a committee member, respectively, when Umno was said to have received the 1MDB-linked funds.
"The money that was said to have been channelled into the (bank) account of Umno took place in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
"At the time, the Umno management committee was headed by Muhyiddin and Shafie was a committee member.
"We may be forced to ask them to give a statement (in court) on the bank transactions back then," he said.
On June 21, MACC announced an RM270 million civil forfeiture suit against 41 individuals and groups. Of this, RM212 million (78.5 percent) was sought from Umno divisions.
Umno had vowed to fight the civil forfeiture suit.
Acting president Mohamad Hasan said Umno's bank account was already frozen and the party would do its part to prove why the money belongs to the party.
"That is their procedure. They have (earlier) frozen the money, and now (they move) towards forfeiture.
"What MACC is doing is according to the law and we Umno must argue (in court) why the money has to be returned to us. We are doing that," he said
Yesterday, Gerakan president Dominic Lau pointed out Muhyiddin, Shafie and Kedah Menteri Besar Mukriz Mahathir should be told to return the 1MDB-linked money.
He said Johor, Sabah and Kedah Umno divisions accused of receiving the monies from 1MDB were previously headed by Muhyiddin, Shafie and Mukhriz, respectively.