The Selangor government has yet to receive a report on the recent Sungai Selangor pollution incident from the police.
Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari said he would wait for the report before taking any action against the parties involved.
“So far we have not received the report, as I said earlier to me the contamination was more due to negligence and not sabotage.
“We will take action regardless of the individual or company responsible for polluting the river,” he told reporters at the lobby of the Selangor state legislative assembly in Shah Alam today.
He said this when asked to comment on the statement by Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador on Monday that there were no elements of sabotage in the river pollution incident, and that it was more due to negligence instead.
On July 21, diesel pollution in Sungai Selangor resulted in the Sungai Selangor Water Treatment Plant (WTP) Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 as well as the Rantau Panjang WTP near Shah Alam ceasing operations, which caused water supply disruptions in Kuala Lumpur, Petaling, Klang, Shah Alam, Kuala Selangor, Hulu Selangor, Gombak and Kuala Langat.
The incident occurred at a site where sand mining activities had been carried out by a licensed contractor, though operations had ceased since the past two months.