Sekolah Menengah Agama Kerajaan Johor (SMAKJ) students were given three days of special leave beginning today until Thursday, after a food poisoning case which affected 120 students yesterday morning.
Chairman of the state Islamic affairs, agriculture and rural development committee, Tosrin Jarvanti said the leave was only given to students while teachers and school staff have to work as usual.
He said the school has been asked to monitor the situation until all students return home.
They also have to inform the parents that the children have to undergo follow-up treatment.
“The Health Department has taken samples of the food they had for breakfast in the school dining hall to determine the actual cause of food poisoning which allegedly affected more than 100 students who suffered stomach pains and vomiting.
“The dining hall has also been ordered closed for 14 days to allow for further investigations,” Tosrin said in a statement today.
He said the school has also been asked to look for alternative ways of providing food to the students as the dining hall will be closed for 14 days.
“We have also handed the case to the relevant authorities (health department) for further action,” he added.
Yesterday, 120 students of SMAKJ suffered food poisoning after they ate fried noodles for breakfast at the school's dining hall.
The students are now in stable condition and receiving outpatient treatment at the Besar Hajjah Khalsom Hospital, Kluang. - Bernama