PKR president Anwar Ibrahim has welcomed the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) decision not to charge him over sexual misconduct allegations.
This followed Solicitor-General Engku Nor Faizah Engku Atek’s statement earlier today that there were “contradictions of material facts” and insufficient evidence to support prosecution under the Penal Code.
“I welcome the AGC’s decision to bring an end to this matter and I thank the authorities for their professionalism," Anwar said through his official Twitter account today.
“While legitimate claims should be investigated according to due process, we cannot condone frivolous, vexatious and scurrilous allegations, especially when they impugn the integrity and honour of innocent Malaysians.”
As for his defamation suit against his accuser Muhammed Yusoff Rawther, Anwar said the suit would be maintained to “ensure justice and accountability”.
Muhammed had claimed in a statutory declaration that Anwar attempted to sexually assault him at the politician's home in Kuala Lumpur on Oct 2, 2018.
The statutory declaration was made in November last year and made public last month. Anwar had denied any wrongdoing.
On Dec 5, it was reported that Anwar’s lawyer Ramkarpal Singh had sent a notice of demand telling Muhammed to retract his accusation within seven days.