Malaysiakini
NEWS

BPN aid appeal extended to May 31

Published
Modified 10 May 2020, 12:19 pm

Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin today announced that the appeal date for rejected Covid-19 Bantuan Prihatin Nasional (BPN) applicants has been extended to May 31.

In a live address, Muhyiddin said appeals can be made via email or applications can go directly to the nearest Inland Revenue Board (IRB) office beginning tomorrow or Tuesday.

He also acknowledged concerns and complaints received from rejected applicants, including those who are jobless or failed to provide their full details.

"There are those whose applications were rejected because their record shows that they are earning more than the income qualification.

"But in actual fact, they are out of jobs and have lost their income.

"Taking into account these factors, the finance minister has agreed to extend the BPN appeal date until May 31," he said.

The Finance Ministry previously opened new applications and appeals for the BPN between April 1 and April 30.

Umno president Zahid Hamidi earlier urged the government to widen the BPN scope and include those in need who don't qualify on the surface to receive the financial aid.

Among others, Zahid highlighted a certain group of people who were automatically disqualified from the BPN because they have business registration records with the Companies Commission Of Malaysia (SSM).

Muhyiddin further said the latest round of BPN approvals yesterday involved RM1.7 billion aid for 2.3 million applicants, including those whose appeals were accepted.

"I cannot promise that all appeals will be approved.

"But any appeal that meets the conditions and is reasonable, InsyaAllah it can be approved," he said.

It was previously reported that traders who filed an appeal were disqualified because either they or their spouse had a business registered with SSM.

Instead, they had been told to apply for the Geran Khas Prihatin (GKS), a one-off RM3,000 aid for micro-scale businesses which does not need to be repaid.

Finance Minister Tengku Zafrul Abdul Aziz on Friday announced 2.3 million new applications for BPN after an appeals process which was reviewed by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).

The total number of BPN recipients now stands at 10.6 million.

READ MORE

PM: Conditional MCO extended until June 9

Gov’t to loosen interstate travel rule for working spouses to reunite with families

Raya visit within same state allowed, capped at 20 people

Over 43pct returned to work under conditional MCO


Keep up with the latest information on the outbreak in the country with Malaysiakini's free Covid-19 tracker.

Malaysiakini is providing free access to the most important updates on the coronavirus pandemic. You can find them here.

Help keep independent media alive - subscribe to Malaysiakini

Share this story