COMMENT | Johor DAP committee member Dr Boo Cheng Hau may not be a Sabahan but he could well be speaking for many Sabahans when he recently called on Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad to step down.
Why do I say so? Because that seems to be the sentiments of many in Sabah now that Mahathir has insisted that Bersatu set up its chapter in the state and allowing Umno defectors to join the party.
Two close friends from Sabah, one a senior leader of a Pakatan Harapan party, contacted me after reading my stance in Malaysiakini on Bersatu’s foray into Sabah, telling me that Mahathir has done enough damage to the ruling coalition with his many U-turns of late.
“It has reached a stage where it has become intolerable. Mahathir is to be blamed for causing so much uneasiness within Harapan, including among us in Sabah”, one messaged me.
The other said: “If the old man keeps on making important decisions without referring to the Harapan presidential council, antagonising others in the process, he has become a liability to Harapan and should go."
Strong words indeed! Isn’t this exactly what Boo was driving at?
Then, the majority of Malaysiakini readers who commented on the issues I’ve brought up were also unhappy with Mahathir’s decision and Bersatu’s move.
These are some of their comments:
- Bersatu is the reincarnation of Umno. Umno DNA runs deep. Dishonesty and back-stabbing are nothing new. The second-time PM's words and actions do not reflect his honesty but have ascertained that he is still the same cunning fox who wants everything to be done his way.
- Bersatu people are much like Umno. They are not honourable!
- Federal government will continue to divide and rule East Malaysia. Nothing new. Same old, same old.
- Bersatu in Sabah and Sarawak will not last. East Malaysians will not support them.
- Asking dishonourable people to honour their words? Bersatu is weak. Push them back to Umno. Let Umno finish them off...