Malaysiakini
NEWS

Johor Environment Dept officer faints after inhaling toxic fumes

Bernama

Published
Modified 22 Mar 2019, 2:40 am

A Johor Department of Environment (DOE) assistant engineer fainted after inhaling toxic fumes from a leaking barrel in the department's laboratory at Pusat Perdagangan Negeri in Taman Tampoi Indah II, Skudai, Johor Bahru, yesterday.

Johor DOE director Mohammad Ezanni Mat Salleh said when contacted that the 30-year-old man passed out while working in the laboratory in the 4pm incident.

"The victim was sent to the Sultanah Aminah Hospital for treatment.

"The laboratory has been closed temporarily while the hazardous chemicals are being identified," Mohammad Ezanni said.

Larkin Fire and Rescue Station Hazmat Unit team officer, Mohd Hairinizam Mostapa, said the station was alerted of the incident at 4.28pm.

Nine personnel and three fire engines were rushed to the site to decontaminate the premises.

“The DOE officers were told to evacuate the building and to contain the incident," Hazmat said, adding that the operation ended at 6.53pm.

- Bernama

Share this story

Comments

By posting a comment, you agree to our Terms & Conditions as stipulated in full here

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Foul language, profanity, vulgarity, slanderous, personal attack, threatening, sexually-orientated comments or the use of any method of communication that may violate any law or create needless unpleasantness will not be tolerated. Antisocial behaviour such as "spamming" and "trolling" will be suspended. Violators run the risk of also being blocked permanently.

REPORT VIOLATORS

Please use the report feature that is available below each comment to flag offending comments for our moderators to take action. Do not take matters in your own hands to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary exchanges that may result in your own suspension or ban.