Malaysiakini NEWS

Malaysians not involved in Jakarta riots, says foreign minister

Bernama
Published:  |  Modified:

No Malaysians were involved in the post-election riots in Jakarta, Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said.

He gave an assurance that the ministry would keep abreast of developments there, as a precautionary measure.

"At the moment, the government does not plan to bring back Malaysians who are still there, but we will keep up with the developments.

"We hope the situation will stabilise and return to normal," he told reporters after attending the Pahang Muafakat Movers Association buka puasa event yesterday.

Saifuddin also advised Malaysians in Indonesia to heed the advice from authorities and not attend mass rallies at Tanah Abang, Tamrin, Sabang and Menteng.

The media earlier reported seven people were killed and 200 injured in the protests against the announcement of the presidential election results on Tuesday, with incumbent President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) proclaimed as the winner.

Defeated presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto is challenging the result, refusing to concede defeat to his bitter rival.

Previously, more than 500 election staff were reported to have died due to 'exhaustion' and heart attacks while carrying out their duties. This large figure has led lawmakers to call for a probe into election practices.

- Bernama

Share this story

OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew