The sedition investigation against the organisers of this year's Women's March has been classified as 'no further action' (NFA) and dropped, according to Muhyiddin Yassin.
The home minister confirmed this in a written parliamentary reply to senator Siti Fatimah Yahaya, who asked about the latest developments in the probe.
“The police conducted an investigation under Section 9(5) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 and Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948 after receiving reports from the Dang Wangi police headquarters," he said.
“The organisers of the march were summoned to Dang Wangi for questioning on March 18, and no arrests have been made in connection with the case thus far.
“Investigation papers were referred to the deputy public prosecutor and the case was classified as NFA."
Police previously questioned nine people in connection with the Women’s March.
Held on March 9 in Kuala Lumpur, the march had put forward a list of demands, which included an end to child marriage and gender-based violence.
However, the demands were overshadowed by intense criticism over the presence of LGBT participants at the demonstration.
KiniGuide: A guide to what happened at Women’s March
Muhyiddin previously claimed that march organisers had not applied for a permit, thus violating the Peaceful Assembly Act.
While the act stipulates that organisers need to notify the police 10 days before a march or assembly is held, it makes no mention of a permit.
The march organisers previously told Malaysiakini that they had notified Dang Wangi police on Feb 25, 10 days before the event.
Despite meeting with the police to inform them of the names of the organisers and the proposed route, they said they did not receive “further communication or objection” from police before the march.