Malaysiakini NEWS

IGP dismisses claim Anwar's aide not given food for 24hrs

Published:  |  Modified:

Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador has denied that PKR president Anwar Ibrahim's aide was not given food for 24 hours after being detained in connection with the sex video implicating Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali.

“These are all false allegations,” he told reporters in Kuala Lumpur this afternoon.

Earlier, Perak PKR, who made the allegation, said these things should not happen under the Pakatan Harapan administration.

Expressing shock over Farhash Wafa Salvador's arrest, the state chapter also urged the police to act without prejudice in this matter.

“The police should not conduct 'selective investigation or prosecution' and must be transparent in investigating high-profile cases,” it added in a statement.

Farhash (below), who is Perak PKR chief, was arrested over the circulation of the sex video, which Azmin claimed is a nefarious attempt to ruin his political career.

Perak PKR said the main issue is whether the sex video is authentic and the police have not established this.

“The people are demanding an explanation on the authenticity of the video,” it added.

To date, eight people have been remanded to facilitate investigation into the viral sex video.

They include the former PKR Santubong Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz who had confessed that he's one of the two men in the sex video, and claimed that the other one is Azmin.

Haziq was one of the six people remanded for six days on Monday.

However, the Kuala Lumpur High Court had reduced the initial six-day remand to four days for five of the group, which means they are to be released today, while the court upheld the six-day remand on Haziq (below).

This was after judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah highlighted the "impossibility" of implicating more than two people under Section 377B of the Penal Code on carnal intercourse against the order of nature.

Section 377B is punishable by up to 20 years and whipping upon conviction.

On July 16, police arrested another three individuals, including Farhash in Johor Bahru in relation to their investigation.

However, one of the three was released on the same day after police recorded his statement, while Farhash and another man have been remanded for four days until Saturday.

Last month, Farhash had denied his involvement in the alleged high-profile scandal and asked Azmin to resign if there is overwhelming evidence against him.

“Azmin must quit if he is guilty,” he had said.

Azmin has vehemently denied the allegation, describing it as character assassination intended to destroy his political career.


RELATED REPORTS

Sex video authentic, identities cannot be confirmed - IGP

No interference in sex video probe, assures police chief

Share this story

OR

Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew