No proof to back DOJ's allegations, says 1MDB
There is no proof to back the allegations by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding the misappropriation of 1MDB-linked funds, said the firm.
"1MDB notes that the civil lawsuit does not contain any appendices with documentary proof or witness statements to support the allegations made by the DOJ," it said in a statement today.
The state investment firm also noted it is not a party in the civil forfeiture suits, and that it has not been contacted by the DOJ.
It also said that it would fully cooperate with foreign authorities, "subject to international protocols governing such matters and the advice of the relevant domestic lawful authorities".
The DOJ last night dropped a bombshell, with its latest round of civil forfeiture suits seeking to seize US$540 million in assets purchased with funds allegedly misappropriated from 1MDB.
US investigators first went public on the 1MDB scandal on July 21 last year and declared that Malaysians had been defrauded on an enormous scale.
At that time, US investigators said more than US$3 billion was allegedly misappropriated from 1MDB and sought to seize around US$1 billion in ill-gotten assets.
In the third and latest filing, the DOJ now puts the allegedly misappropriated figure at US$4.5 billion and is seeking to seize US$1.7 billion in assets purportedly acquired using funds stolen from 1MDB.
Keep Malaysiakini independent!
Malaysiakini will be 18 this year. That we’ve survived this long is because of you.
Your support matters. A lot. Especially those who pay RM150 annually, RM288 biennially or RM388 triennially to keep Malaysiakini independent from government/opposition influence and corporate interests. Advertising alone will not keep Malaysiakini afloat.
Together, we’ve gone far. We’ve covered three prime ministers, four general elections, five Bersih rallies, and countless scandals. But the journey continues.
Help us deliver news and views that matter to Malaysians. Help us make a difference for Malaysia.