Acting PM urges Malaysians not to panic over first Sars death

comments     Published     Updated

Acting Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi urged Malaysians not to panic over the country's first probable death from the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome ( Sars ).

The health ministry o­n Saturday said a 64-year-old man, who died in a Kuala Lumpur hospital after visiting China and Singapore last month, was probably Malaysia's first victim of Sars.

Abdullah yesterday said the government had set up a special ministerial committee which had implemented various measures to curb the spread of the mysterious disease.

"There's no need to panic, why should we panic?" he was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency.

For the rest of this story and more, subscribe for only RM150 a year. If you're already a subscriber, please sign in.

Sign in Subscribe now


Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In