Marudi BN candidate gets death threats
S'WAK POLLS Marudi SPDP (Sarawak Progressive Democratic Party) candidate Penguang Manggil had reportedly received death threats yesterday, just a day ahead of nomination day.
According to Seehua Daily today, he was approached by four strangers while walking towards a bank from a nearby hotel in Marudi at 1.30pm yesterday.
In an intimidating manner, the report said, the four told him that he would be shot by “the son of a pemanca ”.
The incident was supposedly related to reporters by Sarawak CID chief Dev Kumar while he was making the rounds at the nomination centres this morning.
He reportedly said the police have already started investigations, and would soon call in the son of the pemanca to assist investigations.
A pemanca is a local community leader in Sarawak.
Meanwhile, The Borneo Post reported that SPDP Youth information chief Jaya Ramba Henry Gomes had also received four death threats between 1pm and 3pm yesterday.
Penguang was quoted by the daily saying, “I take the threats seriously and want the relevant authorities to investigate promptly”, but declined further comment.
Penguang is contesting in the Marudi state constituency, which was previously held by SPDP’s Sylvester Entri Muran for four terms.
However, Slyvester had since joined the BN-friendly SPDP splinter party Teras (Sarawak People's Energy Party) and was not selected to defend his seat.
Penguang is running against PKR’s Elia Bit and the independent candidate Louis Julong, with the polling date set on May 7.
Jaya Ramba is acting as Penguang’s publicity chief for the election.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now