MCA has asked if the police will release details of the analysis by a US expert on a sex video involving a Malaysian politician by today.
In a statement, MCA spokesperson Chan Quin Er (photo, above) said federal police Criminal Investigation Department director Huzir Mohamed had announced in November that the result of the analysis was expected by the end of the year.
"Today is Dec 31. The year and decade will end in a few hours time. We have yet to hear anything about the result of the said analysis, or even the name of the American university to which the video was sent for analysis.
"If the result cannot be ready by the end of 2019, there should have been an announcement regarding a delay and postponement. However, the powers that be have been silent throughout.
"Will the police be able to release the video analysis findings by today? Will the minister’s name finally be cleared, or will we see him charged for an offence under Section 377A of the Malaysian Penal Code? Or perhaps Section 377A is an offence the PDRM no longer takes seriously?" Chan asked.
On Nov 20, Huzir revealed that the video was being investigated by an unnamed US digital forensics expert based in an unnamed university.
He said the expert would determine if the video was authentic and also establish the identities of the individuals depicted.
Asked when the police expected to receive a report from the expert, Huzir (photo) replied, "very sure, before the end of the year". He did not promise that the report would be made public.
He also revealed that the investigation paper on the matter had been returned to the police by the Attorney-General's Chambers at least eight times, with fresh instructions for further investigations.
The sex video in question depicted two male politicians in bed. It was spread to reporters on July 11, by WhatsApp.
Then Santubong division PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz subsequently confessed that he was depicted in the video and that the incident took place on May 11 at Four Points Hotel in Sandakan, Sabah.
Haziq claimed that the video was taken without his permission and he urged the MACC to investigate the other person depicted in the video for corruption.
About a dozen individuals, including Haziq, were picked up by the police for questioning. No charge has been laid against anyone.
Economic Affairs Minister Azmin Ali, whom Haziq accused as the other person in the sex video, has dismissed the allegation as "vicious libel".