Illegal political bulletin distributed to Tamil schools in Sgor
An unlicensed political news bulletin featuring the Umno-PAS feud, including personal attacks against several opposition state assembly representatives, is being distributed to Tamil primary and secondary schools in Selangor.
A number of schools have confirmed receiving several copies of the bulletin via their PO Box addresses since late last year, specifically addressed to the headmaster/principal, senior assistant, parent-teacher association (PTA) chairperson, deputy chairperson and treasurer.
The March 15 issue of the 16-page bulletin called Memo 19 carries a price tag of RM2 but is being distributed free to Tamil schools in the state.
It is unclear whether Chinese schools have received any copies but initial queries revealed that they have not heard of the bulletin, which is printed in full colour.
The Home Affairs Ministry publishing permit reference number, a mandatory requirement under the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984, is not found in Memo 19 . Neither are details of the publisher and printer.
A check on the website
address found on Memo 19 's frontpage, takes the reader to a site called Rename where a further search showed that the address is not listed on that site as well.However, a number of articles in Memo 19 are from the Kelab Maya Umno and Umno Online websites, with eye-catching bylines such as Pang5Husin, Tepak Bersulam, Kunta Kinte Malaysia and Wartawan Memo 19.
Undermine Hasans reputation
Several articles in Memo 19 reveal a concerted effort to undermine the reputation of Sungai Burung assembly representative and PAS vice-president Dr Hasan Ali through personal attacks which include allegations of an extra-marital affair with a married woman, and of cheating his constituents by owning a RM4 million bungalow in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur.
An article by columnist Abdul Jalil Backer slammed Hasans criticism of Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad where he had allegedly likened Mahathir to well-known Muslim scholar and leader Kamal Attaturk.
Hassan was also criticised for his claim of being a descendent of Prophet Muhammad and accused of having a forked-tongue and talking too much without producing results.
A reference was made to an article in Memo 17 (another publication) entitled Dua Hassan Bergaduh (Two feuding Hassans), referring to PAS vice-president Hassan Shukri.
Another article in Memo 19 carries the heading PAS Selangor bergolak gaga-gara isu Khir Toyo (PAS Selangor troubled over Khir Toyo issue).
The pro-government bulletin also carries a full-page open letter to the PAS leadership, accusing Selangor PAS of being confused and increasingly chronic with factionalism within its ranks, allegedly written by a veteran PAS leader from Gombak Setia.
In direct contrast, a full two-page spread and several other articles sing praises of Umno leaders in the state, especially Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo, for leading Selangor towards a civil society under the 6M formula — musyawarah, muraqobah, muhasabah, muaqobah, mujahadah and muatabah .
Opposition-bashing
DAP Youth chief Teng Chang Khim, when contacted, said there are several different bulletins using a similar name, such as Memo 14 , Memo 17 and now Memo 19 .
I received Memo 19 yesterday. I remember Memo 17 which had a different slant from Memo 19 . After I checked the Selangor Umno website, it was obvious to me that some of the Memo 19 articles are taken from there.
I suspect Memo 19 is published by Umno because most of the articles are bashing the opposition, PAS in particular. The police should step in because the contents smack of criminal defamation, said Teng.
He also thinks that other bulletins like Memo 15, Memo 17 and Memo 19 are sponsored by Mohd Khir and Selangor Umno to confuse people.
Such personal attacks are the most deplorable way of politicking because if none of the identities of the publisher or writers is revealed, it smacks of mala fide (bad faith).
Furthermore, schools are targeted because, I think, Hasan is still considered an influential figure in the education circle, he added.
Hassan was unavailable for comment.
Last October, Memo 14 , which is published by media activist Ahmad Lutfi Othman, carried various allegations against Mohd Khir for misuse and abuse of power in awarding projects and land to certain companies and individuals in Selangor.
Police had seized all the copies of Memo 14 from a printing press before they could be circulated, causing Ahmad Lutfi to suffer a total loss of about RM100,000.
In the Dewan Rakyat on Monday, Hasan had angrily denied all the allegations in Memo 19 and blamed the Barisan Nasional, especially Selangor Umno, for trying to undermine PAS reputation.
Memo 19 was also a hot issue in the Selangor state assembly.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now