Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Police arrest seven over Internet terror rumours
Published:  Dec 19, 2002 7:58 AM
Updated: Jan 29, 2008 10:21 AM

The police today said they had arrested six women and a man for allegedly sending e-mails to the Australian High Commission and other Internet addresses warning of bomb attacks on major shopping centres here.

Ahmad Bahrin Idrus, Kuala Lumpur deputy police chief, said the suspects had been picked up under the Internal Security Act, which allows for indefinite detention without trial, but had been released on police bail.

"We will continue to arrest those who spread the e-mail rumour. We are investigating the motive of their action and the source of the e-mail," he told reporters.

The e-mails claimed that terrorists were planning to bomb major shopping complexes patronised by both locals and foreigners.


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

Unlocking Article
Unlocking Article
ADS