Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Cabinet all behind Najib as allegations swirl

The cabinet today stated its support for Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak in facing the allegations made by The Wall Street Journal over 1Malaysia Development Berhad funds, according to Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

The agriculture and agro-based industry minister said the heads of all the Barisan Nasional component parties were given the opportunity to speak.

"We agreed by consensus to express our support for Najib," he said when asked whether the weekly cabinet meeting discussed the WSJ allegations.

Ismail Sabri, who was approached after he had given away 2,500 packets of 'bubur lambuk' (porridge) at the ministry premises, said the cabinet discussed the allegations published by the WSJ.

Last Friday, The Wall Street Journal published a report alleging that nearly US$700 million (RM2.6 billion) of 1MDB funds had been channelled to personal bank accounts of the prime minister.

Ismail Sabri said the cabinet was of the opinion that there should be no speculation over the issue and that the Special Task Force involving the police, Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission, Attorney-General's Chambers and Bank Negara, should be allowed to complete its investigation.

- Bernama


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS