The Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) train line to the east coast for the first phase began operation yesterday in conjunction with the Aidilfitri celebration, after it was closed due to the floods last year.
KTMB president Lt-Col (Rtd) Sarbini Tijan said the train route from Kemubu to Kuala Krai in Kelantan began operation yesterday, while the route between Gemas in Negri Sembilan and Gua Musang, Kelantan, began today.
The ticket price for both the routes remained the same.
“We will also help restore the train infrastructure and facilities as soon as possible,” he said in a statement in Kuala Lumpur today.
All train services to the East Coast were cancelled since Dec 22 last year due to the floods which in the east coast states.
Sarbini said the second phase of the restoration work of the railway tracks in the east coast was scheduled to be completed end of the year.
KTMB apologised for the delay in the operation of the first phase, which was earlier set on July 10, he added.
- Bernama
