Most Read
Most Commented
Read more like this
mk-logo
News
Filipino security forces find headless body

The security forces in the Philippines have discovered a headless body, which is suspected of belonging to Sarawakian engineer, Bernard Then Ted Fen, who was abducted by four armed men in Sandakan, Sabah, last May.

Deputy Foreign Minister Reezal Merican Naina Merican said the body has been referred to Then's family on Monday night for identification purposes and further action.

However, Reezal Merican did not reveal when the Filipino security forces found the body.

He said this when winding up the Supply Bill 2016 debate for his ministry at the Dewan Negara yesterday, while expressing his condolences to the family members of the victim.

It had been reported that Then, 39, was beheaded in a remote location considered to be a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines.

Then was abducted by a group of armed men at a seafood restaurant in Sandakan, Sabah, on May 14, along with the restaurant manager, Thein Nyuk Fun, 50. Thien was released on Nov 8.

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak on Nov 18 said on his Facebook and Twitter pages that Malaysia strongly condemned the killing of Then.

Reezal Merican ( photo ) explained that the government, through its enforcement agencies, always enforced the law and regulations to defend the sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens as well as foreign tourists.

He said these acts of aggression and violence were not only criticised by Malaysia, but also the Philippine government.

"The government will not take lightly the issue of abductions, and will take appropriate action.

"The government is also looking at approaches in the bilateral and multilateral levels to find solutions to issues that involve incursions and kidnappings," he added.

- Bernama


Please join the Malaysiakini WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news and views that matter.

ADS