Subramaniam: Dengue situation expected to be worse this year
The dengue situation in the country is predicted to be worse this year compared with last year, following the 26,533 cases reported from January until yesterday.
Health Minister Dr S Subramaniam said the figure showed an increase of over 1,500 compared with 25,028 cases over the same period last year.
“Out of the cases, 55 deaths were recorded nationwide so far this year compared with 65 over the same period last year, besides over 2,800 new dengue cases reported each week throughout the country,” he told reporters in Kuala Lumpur today.
Earlier, he launched the Mobile iDengue application, the result of collaboration between the Health Ministry and Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry, which was represented by its minister Madius Tangau at the launch.
Dr Subramaniam said the expected rise in dengue cases was due to certain factors including cleanliness level of the environment, unscheduled garbage collection and irresponsible public attitude, besides Aedes mosquitoes being the main vector for the dengue outbreak.
“The Mobile iDengue application is for easy and fast channelling of accurate information on the dengue status to the users,” he said.
Dr Subramaniam said Selangor recorded the highest number of new dengue cases at 13,306 or 70 percent of the total number nationwide, due to factors such as population density and type of human settlements in the state.
According to a statement from the Health Ministry, Selangor recorded 18 deaths from dengue, Penang and Terengganu (nine each), Negri Sembilan (five), Johor and Sarawak (three each), Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya (two), Pahang (two), and Kedah, Malacca, Kelantan and Sabah (one each).
On another development, Dr Subramaniam said the results of the test on the fried noodles alleged to be tainted with glass shards eaten by seven pupils of Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Tamil Ladang Nigel Gardner, Hulu Selangor who fell ill after that, would be ready after three weeks.
Last Sunday, it was reported that seven pupils of the school were admitted to Sungai Buloh Hospital on Friday after eating their breakfast of fried mee hoon provided under the Supplementary Food Programme.
- Bernama
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now