Gov’t defies rulers by declaring 1MDB audit report 'top secret'
YOURSAY | ‘The decree of the rulers has been totally ignored by Umno-BN.’
Odin Tajué: The very act of hiding the findings of the auditor-general under the Official Secrets Act (OSA) has confirmed that:
1) The business dealings of 1MDB, SRC International and any other entities related to the scandal have been, to put it nicely, well below board.
2) The reports on the dubious business transactions and any ancillary commercial activities, including but not limited to such ventures as producing of films and purchasing of assets such as property and paintings, effected by the entities and third-party individuals involved as published by the Sarawak Report , The Edge , the London Sunday Times , The Wall Street Journal ( WSJ ), the Washington Post , the New York Times , the Financial Times , etc, have been factual.
We are left with no choice but to accept the revelation that:
1) PetroSaudi International and certain top officials in Aabar Investments have allegedly abetted in the unlawful act of siphoning off of vast sums of money from 1MDB.
2) That Prince Turki Abdullah, who has been implied to be the donor of the US$681 million transferred into PM Najib Abdul Razak's personal bank accounts and is co-owner/co-founder of PetroSaudi, has instead received US$77 million for the part his company played in acting as a conduit for the siphoning off of the US$1.83 billion from 1MDB, the first of several sums allegedly embezzled.
3) Aabar Investments PJS Ltd and any other business entities named in a manner to deceive the unobservant into mistaking them for the official, legal ones, have been allegedly acting as conduits for the movement of funds and most of which have apparently ended up in the possession of Najib.
We are further left with no choice but to believe that persons that include Casey Tang, Jasmine Loo, Jho Low, Nik Faisal Ariff Kamil, Shahrol Halmi, and Suboh Mohd Yassin have been complicit as well as have allegedly gained from the money from 1MDB and SRC International.
We are forced to come to the conclusion that Najib is the major beneficiary of the vast sums of 1MDB monies and that his claim of his ability to finance his family's extravagant lifestyle was due to his benefiting from his ‘legacy family inheritance' - which his own brothers have publicly implied to be non-existent - is nothing but a blatant lie.
Mushiro: To classify the auditor-general’s report on 1MDB under the OSA and to disallow certain reporters from covering the event is a clear indication that they want to protect Najib and hide the truth.
Malaysians have been told time and again by Najib that the government has launched investigations into 1MDB as the government wants to get to the bottom of the issue.
Now we see one by one all these investigations - by the special task force, Bank Negara, Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), the auditor-general and the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) - being systematically disposed of or hidden from the public.
Anonymous #40538199: The Council of Rulers said , "The findings of the investigation must be reported comprehensively and in a transparent manner so that the people will be convinced of the sincerity of the government which shall not at all conceal facts and the truth."
What is the auditor-general and the PAC chairperson trying to do? I think we need a royal commission of inquiry (RCI) to clear the air.
Bluemountains: The decree of the rulers has been totally ignored by Umno-BN. The rulers have ordered for the investigations into 1MDB to be completed as quickly as possible and its results made public.
But look what Umno-BN has done. They have classified the auditor-general's report under the OSA instead. There is definitely something very damaging that they want to continue to hide from the public.
Don't the rulers have the power to order for the report to be declassified?
Versey: The rakyat had been waiting patiently and eagerly for the presentation of the auditor-general's report to the PAC, thus giving a chance to the authorities to explain the 1MDB issue and the US$681 million that went into the premier's personal bank account.
Now that the report is classified under the OSA, the rakyat are deprived from knowing the truth of the matter concerned, are left with no alternative but to rely on reports from renowned foreign media like WSJ to continue updating us on this issue.
So please don't blame the rakyat for not listening and believing what you have been telling us. You have asked for it.
Gunnerrun: When will this madness end? Already there are signs the country is in its worst shape ever and this very person will remain in power for years and years to come.
How much more destruction can a nation take?
Clearwater: The truth will come out one day and there will be hell to pay. Taxpayers who have to foot the pain for such shenanigans will not forget this insult to our intelligence.
Is suspected thievery now proclaimed an official secret to be protected?
The above is a selection of comments posted by Malaysiakini subscribers. Only paying subscribers can post comments. Over the past one year, Malaysiakinians have posted over 100,000 comments. Join the Malaysiakini community and help set the news agenda. Subscribe now .
These comments are compiled to reflect the views of Malaysiakini subscribers on matters of public interest. Malaysiakini does not intend to represent these views as fact.