Kit Siang: TMI another casualty of Najib’s premiership

comments     Published     Updated

The Malaysian Insider ( TMI ) is the latest casualty of Najib Abdul Razak’s reign as prime minister, said DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang.

“Najib and his new Communications and Multimedia Minister, Salleh Said Keruak, may feel proud of their ‘achievement’ in the death of TMI , especially with the government blocking of the news portal last month.

“But to decent and thinking Malaysians, there can be no joy but immense sadness at the death of TMI ,” Lim said in a statement today.

He was referring to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission move to block TMI on its eight-year anniversay on Feb 25, due to an article on Najib.

TMI editor-in-chief Jahabar Saddiq today announced that the news portal will be shut down effective midnight.

He said the company’s owner The Edge Media Group decided to shut down the portal for “commercial reasons”.

Meanwhile, The Edge Media Group publisher and group CEO Ho Kay Tat confirmed that the portal did not receive enough commercial support to keep it going.

The Edge Media Group, he said, had incurred losses of around RM10 million in the 20 months since it acquired the portal in June 2014.

Lim paid tribute to TMI for their contribution in “bringing Malaysia towards the light of information and accountability, fighting the darkness of censorship and secrecy”.

“The battle for democracy, freedom, accountability and good governance must go on, and although TMI has fallen, the soon-to-be former TMI journalists and like-minded Malaysians must put their shoulder to the wheel to keep alive and alight the aspirations of all Malaysians for truth, freedom and justice until the achievement of the Malaysian Dream,” he said.



Malaysiakini
news and views that matter


Sign In