Najib seeks audience with sultan over Terengganu MB issue
Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak will seek an audience with Terengganu ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin on the questions raised against Menteri Besar Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman.
In urging all quarters to stop speculating on the matter, Bernama quoted Najib as saying that he would request an audience with the ruler soon.
Speculation has been rife on strained ties between the Terengganu palace and Ahmad Razif after he was introduced at two official events over the weekend without his honorary titles stated.
Last Saturday, a Parti Amanah Negara-linked news portal quoted a source who claimed that Sultan Mizan had last Friday revoked all titles awarded to Ahmad Razif as a sign of his displeasure, triggering rumours of another menteri besar change.
Meanwhile, Najib said the Terengganu state government administration was functioning normally.
"I am scheduled to have an audience with the Sultan of Terengganu soon. I will issue a statement after that," he told reporters in Kuching.
Najib, who is also BN chairperson, was asked to comment on the issue after he had accompanied Sarawak Chief Minister and state BN chief Adenan Satem, who submitted his nomination papers to contest the Tanjung Datu seat in the state election on May 7.
Earlier this month, former Terengganu menteri besar Ahmad Said had claimed that Ahmad Razif is counting the days before he is removed from his position.
The Kijal assemblyperson reportedly claimed that he has informed Najib to seek an audience with Sultan Mizan, requesting for the menteri besar to be removed.
Ahmad had also previously attempted to remove Razif through a vote of no confidence, but his motion was rejected by Terengganu state legislative assembly speaker Mohd Zubir Embong.
For more news and views that matter, subscribe and support independent media for only RM0.36 sen a day:
Subscribe now