Malaysiakini News

Esszone curfew extended to Jan 1

Bernama  |  Published:  |  Modified:

The dusk-to-dawn curfew in the waters off seven districts under the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (EssZone) which ended at 6pm today has been extended to Jan 1, said Sabah police commissioner Ramli Din.

He said the curfew covered the waters off the Tawau, Semporna, Kunak, Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Sandakan and Beluran districts.

The curfew requires all residents in these districts to refrain from entering the waters between 6pm and 6am, he said in a statement here today.

Ramli said the curfew period had been extended to prevent intrusion of terrorists who threaten the security of international researchers and tourists visiting the resort islands.

Based on investigations, the Abu Sayyaf and other militant groups in the southern Philippines attempted cross-border crimes including abductions, he said.

Ramli also said he had authorised all the relevant district police chiefs to issue permits to applicants who meet the conditions for fishing and other pressing needs in the areas under curfew.

- Bernama

Sign in


Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew