Malaysiakini News

Kedah gov't denies viral message about Mukhriz

Bernama  |  Published:  |  Modified:

The Kedah government today denied a message that has gone viral on the social media that Menteri Besar Mukhriz Mahathir will take over from Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin who has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Chairperson of the state youth and sports, tourism and culture, and entrepreneurial development committee, Mohd Asmirul Anuar Aris, said as of now, the state government led by Mukhriz was functioning as usual without any problems.

“It is all just a rumour... this has happened before and is normal in politics, but so far, there are no changes in the state government administration.

“What is important is that the present menteri besar is with the state government and his father Dr Mahathir Mohamad is with the federal government, so that makes it easy to do (development) works in the state,” he said when met at the state-level National Sports Day programme in Alor Setar today.

Meanwhile, the menteri besar's press officer, Mohd Fisol Jaafar, said the message which began to go viral on Thursday is slanderous, false and mischievous.

“The message is false and slanderous. Bersatu has also issued a statement and denied the claims on its official Facebook account, with a photo with the word fitnah (slander) ”, he said.

According to the viral message, Sungai Petani MP and Gurun state assemblyperson Johari Abdul would take over from Mukhriz as menteri besar and that Muhyiddin will relinquish his cabinet post due to health reasons.

-- Bernama

Sign in


Welcome back,

Your subscription expires on
  

Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
  

Your subscription is expired
  Click here to renew

You are not subscribed to any subscription package
  Click here to subscribe now

Any questions?
  Email: [email protected]
  Call: +603-777-00000

Renew