mk-logo
News
44,292 objections to proposal to degazette Kuala Langat Forest Reserve

The Selangor Forestry Department has received 44,292 written objections over the state government's proposal to degazette the Kuala Langat North Forest Reserve.

Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari said the objections were received from Feb 5 till now.

"The degazettement of the forest is still at the proposal stage. The public can still submit their objections.

"We will also hold a townhall session to obtain feedback on the proposed degazettement of the forest reserve," he said in reply to a question from Elizabeth Wong Keat Peng (PKR-Bukit Lanjan) at the state legislative assembly sitting in Shah Alam yesterday.

Amirudin said all the objections submitted would also be scrutinised by the Public Investigation Committee before being presented to the state government.

He said based on the forest fire risk zone mapping in the Kuala Langat North and South Forest Reserve Management Plan, the forest reserve had been categorised as a fire-prone area.

Recently, the Selangor Forestry Department issued a notice on the proposal to degazette the forest reserve through an advertisement in a local newspaper.

It has since triggered numerous mixed reactions from non-governmental organisations and members of the public.

- Bernama

Show your support for robust journalism

Millions depend on Malaysiakini for the truth. Millions depend on Malaysiakini for quality journalism. Millions depend on Malaysiakini to stand in honour of integrity and justice.

Without a mafia owner to dictate our journalism; free from political or commercial influence, Malaysiakini has only one boss - you, the rakyat.

We take this opportunity to thank you for your love for our country, your trust and respect in us to do our job in holding the powerful to account. We depend on your subscription to protect the sanctity of our journalism. Thank you.

Malaysiakini Team

Read more from this author :
View Comments
Most Read
Most Commented
Most Recent